When my friend, Nadjawa, died of cancer, a few years ago, I made some lifestyle changes starting with throwing out almost all of my household and personal care products and replacing them with clean, non-toxic products. Why is that important, you may ask? Well, so many of our daily products are filled with harsh chemicals and carcinogens which are linked to cancer and other heath related issues. Also, now that I have a tiny human on my hands, it was important for me to minimize the indoor air pollutants and toxicity in our home.
Here are 6 of my favorite non-toxins products:
1. Dr. Bronner’s Castille Soap– This soap is a staple in our home. It’s organic and vegan and we’ve been using it daily for years. Not only can it be used as a body wash, but also as a shampoo, hand soap, dish soap and house hold cleaner.
2. Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Toothpaste– We love this toothpaste because it has no synthetic detergent foaming agents, artificial colors, flavors, carrageenan, or preservatives and most importantly it is fluoride, free. If you have concerns about the effects of fluoridation, this site is a good source.
3. Thieves Cleaner– I was recently introduced to this product as I am always on the hunt for products that are safe to use around Zuri and on items with which she comes in contact with. Thieves has become my everyday cleaner. I use it to clean literally EVERYTHING. From her high chair, our tub, counters and even the mirrors, it’s an amazing multipurpose cleaner. I’m not a huge fan of the scent (smells like cinnamon) but I can live with it.
Thieves may seem a little expensive but keep it mind that it’s concentrated and has to be diluted. Also, the piece of mind that you are not exposing your family to more chemicals is worth the investment, in my opinion.
4. Naturally Fresh Deodorant – I’ve been using natural deodorant and antiperspirants for many many years. Have I found “the one” yet? I don’t know but one thing I do know is that I will never go back to using toxic deodorants filled with questionable ingredients such as parabens, phthalates and aluminum.
5. Burt’s Bees Lip Balm– I stash these lip balms all over my house and car. There’s nothing worse than having dry lips, and these balms are a perfect natural solution to moisturize your lips. I love that they contain all-natural ingredients like beeswax and peppermint and that they are petroleum free.
6. Grow Fragrance– Prior to discovering this product, I’ll admit that I was addicted to plug ins. That is until I learned about some of the adverse effects attributed to air fresheners like asthma and other breathing difficulties as well as migraines. That is especially the case for children. I love Grow because it only contains essential oils and plant extract unlike most traditional synthetic air fresheners that contain toxins, phthalates, parabens, aerosols and other harmful chemicals.
I have a long way to go in terms of reaching my ultimate goal which is to live a plant based, toxic-free lifestyle. For now, I’m just taking it step by step and going at a pace that works for me.
If you’re interested in learning more about the toxicity levels in your favorite products, here are some great resources:
BLK + GRN (black owned green products)
To shop more of my favorite products, check out my Amazon page here. All of the products linked are products that I actually use and love. I do receive a small commission, at no expense to you, if you purchase any product on my Amazon storefront.
What are you fave non-toxic products?